We’ve all seen the renders of NEOM. The mirrored linear city stretching across the desert, the luxury yachting islands and the mountain ski resort – it almost seems impossible to imagine. Arguably the world’s most ambitious tourism development, the $500 billion development NEOM lies on the northeastern shores of Saudi Arabia, set to take the Kingdom into a new era of tourism with its array of projects, including The Line, Sindalah and Trojena. Now, a new destination has been announced: Leyja, a futuristic spot in the mountains of NEOM, pitched as the development’s sustainable and eco-tourism hub. Three luxury boutique hotels have been announced for Leyja, yet there are no opening dates or confirmed details thus far.
When it opens, Leyja will offer three stunning boutique hotels perched 400 metres high in the mountains of NEOM, above the Gulf of Aqaba, offering an unparalleled hotel experience. The three hotels currently have no operators but will be called Wellness Hotel, Oasis Hotel and Adventure Hotel. Each will have just 40 keys and focus on their namesake activities – all aspects NEOM is keen to promote in the region.
In a sneak peek on Instagram, NEOM shared futuristic renders of the three properties, another ultra-luxury project by Saudi’s Public Investment Fund portfolio.
Leyja itself will be an adventurous mountain destination with helipads, high-end retail boutiques and fine dining restaurants. It’s the second confirmed mountain destination in NEOM, with Trojena acting as the development’s skiing hub. Trojena has plans to host the Asia Winter Games in 2029, and hotels confirmed for the mesmerising resort include 25hours, Anantara, The W and the Chedi Trojena.
With such a vast and mountainous topography, mountain tourism is a key focus for Saudi Arabia, with NEOM’s two developments and the Soudah Peaks development – the country’s highest peak. The project will soar 3,015 metres above sea level and be home to hotels, shops, restaurants and holiday rentals and homes.
NEOM’s mind-boggling developments are also conceptualised with sustainability in mind, with only 5% of NEOM’s area being developed for these tourism projects, leaving 95% as is and with many projects to protect and rebuild the stunning natural landscape.